Common Unemployment Claims Questions And Answers
Being unemployed is stressful, and sometimes the unemployment benefits process can add to that stress. It can be difficult to get through to the unemployment office to get help with your questions or resolve issues with your claims.
During times of high unemployment, the process of filing can be even more difficult. Wait times are often longer, and online systems become overwhelmed by the volume of applications. Economic crises can strain application systems that were intended for a far simpler process.
If you are having a problem getting through to unemployment, or an issue with your unemployment claim, the following FAQ will help you navigate the unemployment system and get some answers.
How To Open A New Claim
If you would like to open a new claim by phone, you will need to contact the UC Service Center at 888-313-7284. This phone line will be available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. According to L& I, you should let them know that you will be filing by phone in the future. After that, the UC Service Center will file an initial claim and mail you important paperwork with a PIN to use while filing over the phone in the future.
For anyone who is still interested in filing a claim online, you can visit Pennsylvanias online unemployment compensation system.
for the WTAJ Newsletter for the latest local news, weather and community events that matter to you.
Illinois Relay And Tty Numbers
Individuals with a hearing impairment who would like to speak with someone in the Claimant Services Center should dial 711 for the Illinois Relay System. Once connected, please direct the communications analyst to call IDES at 800.244.5631.
Illinois Relay: 526-0844 TTY or 711
Illinois Relay: 526-0857 Voice or 711
Don’t Miss: Can You Overdraft Your Unemployment Card
Other Types Of Benefits And Programs For The Unemployed
Federal agencies offer many unemployment education and training programs. They are generally free or low cost to the unemployed.
Self-employment assistance programs help unemployed workers start their own small businesses. Delaware, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, and Oregon offer this program.
More Staff At Pa Unemployment Call Center After Lawmaker Broadcasts Busy Signal On Call
It was a familiar sound to many Pennsylvanians who have called for help with unemployment claims during the COVID-19 pandemic a busy signal.
The harsh repeat buzzing was broadcast last week from the phone of state Rep. Natalie Mihalek, R-Allegheny/Washington.
Mihalek called the unemployment compensation call center during a house appropriations committee budget hearing for the state Department of Labor and Industry. The droning sound filled the chamber.
Can you all hear that? Mihalek asked. Im trying to get in touch with somebody at the Department of Labor and Industry. I have been all morning. I have been for 11 months.
During the hearing, Mihalek said her staff recently had three calls from residents who havent gotten unemployment checks in a year.
Rep. Natalie Mihalek live-called the Unemployment Compensation Call Center and received a busy signal to lead off questioning. Watch the exchange:
PA House GOP Approps
Over the last year, more than 30% of eligible claims waited more than two weeks to receive a first payment, compared to 12% the previous year, Spotlight PA reported.
On Wednesday, the Department of Labor and Industry announced it will add at least 500 new customer service representatives to the unemployment compensation call center, up to 1,000 total new staff if needed.
The move will allow existing staff to move to resolving claims full time.
Also Check: How To Apply For Pandemic Unemployment
Also Check: Emerald Card Overdraft
Social Media Facebook & twitter
Most state UI agencies are actually pretty active on social media in posting updates to share the latest information on unemployment payments and/or delays. You can see relevant social media handles on some of the individual state unemployment pages I have set up for specific contact information but most large unemployment agencies have Facebook, Reddit and Twitter accounts. I follow a number on and , so you can follow me to get curated updates. From the state UI agency social media pages you can even try sending direct/private messages to get answers to your questions and also see the hundreds of comments from people likely in a similar boat to you. Just dont share any confidential or personal information.
Surprisingly a lot of readers have said emailing your state unemployment department or agency has worked more effectively than trying to get a live agent. In fact under federal guidelines for these programs, states must provide claimants with alternate modes of contact, which may include email, and communicate with the claimantbased on his or her preferred method of contact. If the state contacts the claimant via email and the email is returned, the state must attempt to contact the claimant by U.S. mail.
Your Local, State or District representative
If you have found any effective ways of getting in touch with someone in your state, please leave a comment below.
Claimant And Employer Contact Information
The Division of Unemployment Insuranceâs website and call centers are currently experiencing an unprecedented volume of users due to COVID-19. This may result in longer than usual wait times. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience during these uncertain times.
Please be assured that Maryland does not have a waiting week like many other states do. No matter when or how they file, Marylanders become eligible for benefits starting the day after they separated from employment. Your payment will be backdated to the date you became unemployed, not when your claim was processed. If you are determined to be eligible, you will be paid for all benefits due.
Don’t Miss: Pa Unemployment Ticket Number
Illionis Department Of Employment Security Contact Numbers
Call IDES Customer Service Center at 800-244-5631 for questions around your claim. You can also call this number it you were unable to file your claim because of capacity or system limitations or to discuss backdating your claim with a representative. See others experiences at the IDES forum page.
To certify for Unemployment Insurance benefits, or call Tele-Serve at 312-338-4337 Monday Friday 3:00 a.m. 7:30 p.m.
File An Initial Application
You should file your UC application for benefits using one of the following methods:
- Online An online application can be filed using our secure website 7 days a week, 24 hours
- Telephone An application can be filed on the statewide unemployment compensation toll-free number at 1-888-313-7284.
- For claimants filing a NEW claim: If you are filing for benefits for the first time, you need to contact the UC Service Center and let them know youll need to file by phone in the future. The UC Service Center will file an initial application and provide you a PIN number to use while filing over the phone in the future.
- Videophone service For individuals who use American Sign Language videophone service is available every Wednesday from noon to 4 p.m. at 717-704-8474. Sign language is the ONLY means of communication provided through the Videophone.
Also Check: Missouri Edd Unemployment
Important Contact Information And Links
We strongly encourage you to utilize our online BEACON application to file your claim, which is available online 24/7.
Claimant Phone Number
- To contact a live agent to file a new claim or inquire about an existing claim, please call 667-207-6520, toll free.
- Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have more than doubled our Claims Center staffing and have further extended hours. Live claims agents are available from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, and on Sunday from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Claimants now have the option to call us seven days a week.
- If you call during business hours, you may provide a callback number. When an agent becomes available, the system will call the number and connect you with an agent. You may also be offered the opportunity to connect with a virtual agent to have questions answered by smartphone.
Employer and Agent Phone Number
- The Employer Call Center will be available beginning September 21, 2020 and can be reached at 410-949-0033.
- If you need activating your employer or agent account in BEACON, please contact the Account Activation Hotline at 410-767-8997.
Connect with IVR System to File Telecerts and More
Ombudsman Inquiry Form
Unemployment Benefits Contact Information For Claimants
- Check claim status and payment history
- Request Your Waiting Week
Recommended Reading: How Do I Sign Up For Unemployment In Tn
Receive Financial Determination Letter
Keep this letter in a safe place. It states your financial eligibility. Financial determination letters are typically received within 3 business days via your UC Dashboard communication preference.
Your financial determination letter will tell you:
- Your benefit year begin date AND the date your benefit year expires.
- Your weekly benefit amount and eligible weeks AND how they were calculated.
- How much you will receive if you are totally unemployed and how to estimate your partial benefits for part-time work.
How To File For Benefits
If you would like to file for benefits through unemployment compensation or pandemic emergency unemployment compensation, you can call 888-255-4728. This phone line will be 24 hours a day, seven days a week, according to L& I.
To identify yourself, use your PIN and social security number when claiming benefits. Individuals will be asked to respond to a series of questions by dialing numbers on their phones during the call.
- Access to a touch-tone telephone
- Your social security number
Recommended Reading: Bankofamerica.com Kdol Debit Card
No One Answers The Phone At The Pa Unemployment Compensation Office
I am a Pennsylvania citizen who filed for unemployment under Pennsylvanias re-vamped system on June 16.
Since that time I am still waiting for my unemployment compensation and their is no one who can/will answer questions regarding why my claim is taking so long or when I will receive payment. This touted improved system is an utter failure. I have worked for this state since I was 15 and I am now 42.
I cannot obtain an answer from anyone in our states government. For answers I even contacted Gov. Tom Wolfs office three times. I couldnt get past the screener who was rude and hung up on me twice. He seemed extremely annoyed that I called wanting answers.
Next step, the Department of Labor and Industry run by Jennifer Berrier. I spoke to someone in her office who continually spoke over me and wouldnt let me get a word in the conversation. All I wanted was a clear and concise explanation of the length of time a claim should take. I was treated very disrespectfully by Ms. Berriers office.
Finally, the Pennsylvanias Unemployment Compensation office. The number listed on the site is 1888-313-7284. This is a joke, but I am not laughing. After being placed on hold for close to 20-40 minutes, you are told two things:
1. The representative CANNOT HELP YOU
Governor Wolfs UC system is a complete and utter failure for the citizens of Pennsylvania.
Stacey Novak, Camp Hill
Mytax Illinois And Sides Registration Hotline
Employers can create a secure account to file required reports, pay taxes, and maintain accounts with IDES and the Illinois Department of Revenue. Employers can also register for SIDES e-response to enable electronic claims protests and receive notice of claims via email.
Phone Number: 247-4984
Employers report new employees within 20 days of the employee’s first day on the payroll:
Phone Number: 327-4473
Fax Number: 557-1947
Also Check: Njufile Net Login
Having Trouble With Unemployment Claims Here Are 6 Tips To Help Solve Your Problem
If you are trying to receive unemployment compensation, Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Secretary Jerry Oleksiak offered six tips recently to help Pennsylvanians more quickly receive their benefits.
There has been a historic surge in people seeking unemployment compensation in Pennsylvania because of fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.
Since mid-March, nearly 1.7 million Pennsylvanians have filed for regular unemployment compensation, and new federal laws made big changes to increase payments for many people and made other workers eligible for those benefits for the first time.
Gov. Tom Wolf has said the system is simply not designed for those types of numbers.
More than $3.6 billion in benefits has been paid to claimants nearly $2.7 billion from regular unemployment compensation and $911 million from the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation program , according to the department.
The department says it has taken these to improve customer service:
Nearly 900 L& I staff working on the unemployment compensation program are teleworking with 500 of these employees being reassigned from other agencies to help.
Tips to apply
State Unemployment Contact And Application Information
According to the Alabama Department of Labor’s Secretary Fitzgerald Washington, more than $1 billion has been paid in COVID-19 related unemployment compensation benefits. These benefits have been claimed under the CARES Act: Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation , Pandemic Unemployment Assistance , and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation .
To file a UI claim online, visit Alabama’s State government’s website. For general information about its UI program, read more here.
If you wish to claim by telephone, call 1-866-234-5382 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.
To file a UI claim in this State, visit or call:
- Anchorage UI Claim Center: 1-907-269-4700
- Fairbanks UI Claim Center: 1-907-451-2871
More information about eligibility and which benefits are on offer can be found on the State’s Department of Labor’s website.
To file a new UI claim, visit the State’s Department of Economic Security’s website. You can also call 1-877-600-2722 to apply over the phone.
UI claims can be filed online and over the phone on 1-501-907-2590, Monday to Friday.
UI claims can be made online here and over the phone on 1-800-300-5616. If you prefer to use the self-service line, call 1-866-333-4606.
- Monday: Letters A-E
- Friday: If You Missed Your Day
New York Unemployment Phone Number
In case you file by phone, the unemployment department offers translation services. Use your phone keypad to enter the number for the language you want. A voice recording will offer you the following choices:
Hello i am from nyc and have been working 2 jobs both part time 20hrs each, and 1of my jobs is going out of business they said i should call for unemployment however i do not know if i qualify because i cant get anyone on the phone
You need a summary of payment which is available in 1099-G. Please visit the official website or call the Unemployment Office to know how to get one.
I have two infants and the dedicated babysitter just suffered a heart attack. She will need a few weeks to recover and i have no one to watch the kids untill then. Daycare costs more than i make. If i leave my job temporarily will i qualify for any assistance.
You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons. Unfortunately, personal reasons are not considered.
Debit Card & Direct Deposit Information
- Debit Card FAQ – Find answers to questions about the TWCUI debit card.
- U.S. Bank – Get account information about your UI debit card at www.usbankreliacard.com or call 800-657-6343.
- Direct Deposit FAQ – Find out how direct deposit works and how to set up direct deposit for your benefits.
New State Unemployment System Debuts
The system has given a large number of jobs for the search pa unemployment ticket status. The data is filtered based on the keyword that users type into the search box. All jobs here are from the most reputable sites and quality sources. All of what users have to do is to search by their expected jobs, the results will come in a moment. By searching pa unemployment ticket status on Ecityworks, not only can you save time on job seeking but also can find the most satisfactory job. Once you are on Ecityworks.com, never stop at only searching pa unemployment ticket status, please look for any job you want, for both you and your friends and anyone. In addition, you are even offered very helpful tips and advice in the blog section.
What You Need Before You Get Started
- Home address and mailing address .
- Telephone number.
- Valid email.
- Personal Identification Number . If you have previously filed a UC claim using your previous PIN can prevent you from having to re-enter information.
- Direct deposit bank information : Bank name, address, account number, and routing number.
In some cases, additional information is needed. For a complete list, view our requirements checklist.
Information about Separating Employer:
- Employers name, address, and phone number.
- Employers PA UC account number .
- First and last day worked with employer.
- Reason for leaving or the reason you are working fewer hours.
- Pension or severance package information .
Tools to Help You File
- Frequently Asked Questions A resource to help answer any questions you may have about filing or receiving unemployment compensation benefits, including eligibility, how your weekly benefit is calculated, and more.
- Self-service Step-by-step Instructions These step-by-step guides and instructions will guide you through many UC online services, including how to file an initial claim, how to file a weekly certification, and more.
- New UC System Resources Video tutorials, workshop recordings, and more.