How The New Jersey Unemployment Debit Card Works
Heres how the cards will work:
Once you are approved for New Jersey Unemployment benefits and begin to receive your payments on the Debit Card, Bank of America will create a card in your name.
After your first unemployment insurance payment is authorized, Bank of America will mail the debit card to you via the United States Postal Service .
You should receive the card within 7-10 days.
Whenever you are due to receive your New Jersey Unemployment benefit payment, funds will be sent by Electronic Funds Transfer to your Debit Card.
It is important to note that the New Jersey Unemployment Debit Card is NOT a credit card.
Therefore if you try to use your card for purchases that exceed your balance, your transaction may be declined.
Other Debit Card Considerations
Checking purchases: The back of your debit card should include a customer service number as well as a website address. These services can provide you with statements that show you your recent purchases.
Minimizing fees: Some debit card companies, including those contracted by state unemployment departments, charge fees for certain activities, such as using an ATM or taking advantage of bill pay services. Make sure you understand these fees before you use your card, as well as ways that you can minimize or avoid fees entirely:
An alternative to an unemployment debit card is to request your benefits via direct deposit into a checking or savings account. There are usually no fees associated with the direct deposit, and you won’t have to worry about ATM limits, or finding a no-fee ATM when accessing your funds.
How An Unemployment Debit Card Works
Have you applied for unemployment benefits or received a card? This guide will help you understand all the details on how unemployment debit cards work.
Erica GellermanJuly 19, 2020
Gone are the days of waiting to receive an unemployment check in the mail.
Unemployment departments now use cheaper and more efficient methods of getting benefit payments to you. One of these methods is with an unemployment debit card.
If youve justapplied for unemployment benefitsor received a card, this guide has all the details on how unemployment debit cards work.
In This Article
Also Check: Form Vec-b-31
Faq: Bank Of America Prepaid Debit Card
You can choose to have your benefit payments issued to a convenient and secure prepaid Bank of America debit card. Here are answers to common questions about how the card works.
When will I receive my debit card?
If you havent applied for Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance benefits before, your debit card will be mailed within 10 days after we review your application. The card will arrive before you find out if your application was approved, so no funds will be available. Benefit payments are only issued to the debit card account if your claim is approved.
If you received a debit card for prior Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance benefits within the past four years, your benefits will be issued to that same debit card account. If the previously issued debit card has expired or you no longer have it, call Bank of America toll-free at 866-213-4074 to request a new one.
Will I get a new debit card every time I apply for benefits?
If you previously received a debit card for a prior Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance claim, your benefits will be issued to that same debit card account. If the previously issued debit card has expired or you no longer have it, call Bank of America toll-free at 866-213-4074 to request a new one.
How long does it take for money to be on my card?
Once a payment is posted, funds should be available on your debit card within two business days of the payment date.
Debit Card Tracking Link
Waiting on your new ReliaCard®? You can track the status of your ReliaCard® using U.S. Banks Check My Card Status. Use Card Tracker to:
- Find out if your card is in production
- Find out if it has been mailed
- View the date your card was mailed
- Find out if U.S. Bank has received the enrollment request from TWC.
To use Card Tracker, select the Card Tracker icon on U.S. Banks ReliaCard website: www.usbankreliacard.com. On the Check My Card Status page, select Texas Workforce Commission from the Select your Program drop-down menu, enter your date of birth and Social Security number in the marked fields, then select submit. Card Tracker is available on U.S. Banks website and on the mobile app.
U.S. Bank will also email you when they create your account to let you know they will be mailing your card soon IF your email address is on file with TWC. Make sure to update your contact information with TWC to include your email address if you want U.S. Bank to notify you about your new card.
Recommended Reading: Www Tn Gov Workforce Howtofileui
What Is The New Jersey Unemployment Debit Card
The New Jersey Unemployment Debit Card is used by the New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development to pay unemployment benefits.
It is a Visa Card issued by Bank of America.
If you are approved for Unemployment Insurance benefits in New Jersey, your benefit payments are applied to this debit card issued to you through the Bank of America.
You do not need to have a bank account to get and use the Debit Card.
Purchases and withdrawals are limited to the balance on your card.
You can then use the Debit Card to make purchases or withdrawals until the funds are exhausted.
The Debit Card is valid for three years.
How Is My New Jersey Unemployment Debit Card Sent To Me
Your New Jersey Unemployment Debit Card is sent via regular mail in a plain, unmarked envelope.
It might even look like junk mail. Make sure you check all your mail carefully so you dont discard it by mistake.
The envelope will contain the following information, in addition to the card itself:
- deposit agreement
- ATM safety tips
You May Like: Www.njuifile.net 1099
When You Will Receive The Card
If you are eligible, we will issue your first payment approximately four weeks after you apply for benefits. You should receive your ReliaCard in the mail within 10 business days after we send your first payment to U.S. Bank. After the first payment, you should receive payment on your ReliaCard account within two business days after we process your payment requests.
If you qualify for unemployment benefits, you will receive a ReliaCard if:
- You do not sign up for direct deposit or you selected debit card as your payment option, or
- You signed up for payment by direct deposit, but there was a problem verifying your bank account information.
Go to Changing Your Payment Option to change how you receive your benefit payments.
Why Hasn’t My Debit Card Been Credited
There are several reasons why an expected payment may not arrive on your debit card. Here are a few of them:
- You failed to activate your debit card. When you received your debit card in the mail, you also receive instructions for activating the card by phone or online. If you didn’t activate your card or didn’t activate it properly, benefits won’t appear in your balance.
- You didn’t certify for benefits. States require you to certify your eligibility for benefits on a regular basis. If you fail to certify for a specific period, you won’t receive a payment. If you forgot to certify, your state may allow you to go back in the system and complete certification for that period. Don’t delay, however, after some time has lapsed, you may not be able to go back and claim benefits to which you were originally entitled.
- Your claim has been questioned or suspended. While this is unlikely, it sometimes happens that your unemployment agency receives information that causes it to suspend your claim while it investigates whether you are still eligible for benefits. In many cases, this happens because you made a mistake while certifying for benefits and answered a question in such a way that would disqualify you from a benefit payment.
Some states have automated phone and online systems that can tell you when a payment has been sent to your debit card. Check the service first to make sure that a payment has actually been issued.
Also Check: Do You Pay Income Tax On Unemployment
Debit Card Changes Have Been Made Frequently Asked Questions
What ATMs can I use at no charge?You may use your new card at any Allpoint ATM Network with 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs worldwide. Please visit the AllPoint ATM Network website here to find an ATM location near you where you can access your funds at no charge. And for added convenience, a Voice Assistance ATM locator is available by calling 1-800-809-0308, Option 2.Please see the following fee schedule summary:How do I contact the new card service provider?Toll Free: 1-866-295-2955 or Key2Benefits.com
Do Not Return Your Card To Twc Or Us Bank
TWC cannot use or access your ReliaCard account for any reason. Do not give your card to Workforce Solutions or TWC staff, and do not return your card to U.S. Bank for any reason. If you want to use the funds on your card to repay an overpayment, you must withdraw cash from your card account and send a check or money order to TWC.
Even if you are no longer receiving benefits and/or have no balance on your card, your card is still considered valid until the expiration date listed on the front, so keep your card. If you re-qualify for unemployment benefits before the card expiration date, U.S. Bank will reactivate your card. Do not destroy your card until after the expiration date. Do not send your card to TWC or U.S. Bank for any reason.
If I Receive A Debit Card Does That Mean That I Am Approved For Maryland Unemployment Insurance Benefits
Receipt of the card means that your initial payments are available, but it does not mean that you will automatically be eligible to continue to receive UI benefits.
However, if you continue to:
- file timely weekly claims certifications
- and continue to meet all of the eligibility requirements per Maryland Unemployment Insurance Law,
Then all future benefits will be paid through the same debit card that you originally received.
Using Your Dua Debit Mastercard
After you receive your DUA Debit MasterCard®, you must activate it immediately by doing the following:
- Visit the online activation page. Your initial username for online activation is the last 6 digits of your DUA debit card number.
- When prompted, create a 4 digit Personal Identification Number to use at ATMs
- Sign the back of your card as soon as you activate it
- Your debit card is valid for 3 years after activation. Keep it in a secure location even after you stop claiming benefits. If you need to reopen or file a new claim, your benefits will be deposited on the same card.
Also Check: Can An Llc Owner Collect Unemployment
How Do I Order A Unemployment Card
To request a replacement card, call ReliaCard customer service at 800-657-6343. If your card is lost or stolen, be sure to call immediately to prevent unauthorized charges. Your new card should arrive within 10 business days. You may request an expedited card, which should arrive within 2-3 business days.
What Happens To My Debit Card If It Is Mailed To The Wrong Address
The card will be returned to the Bank of America debit card center.
You must contact the New Jersey customer service or go online to update your address.
Once you have updated your address with the DEW, contact the Bank of America Debit Card call center at 1.866.213.4074 to request a new card be mailed.
A replacement card will be issued to you. Please keep in mind due to mailing time it can take up to seven to ten days.
How Unemployment Debit Cards Work
After you sign up for benefits, your card will be mailed to you. Once it’s received, you will need to activate it and set up a PIN in order for it to receive funds from the government. You’ll receive your funds according to a schedule determined by your local unemployment office.
If your state unemployment office provides a debit card, it will work just like any other bank debit card. You will be able to withdraw cash at an ATM machine of your choice and use your card for purchases at stores.
You can also pay bills with your debit card. For example, you may be provided with a Chase Visa card, a KeyBank debit card, a Bank of America Mastercard, or another bank-issued card. When you use your card, it wont be apparent to the department store or your dry cleaner that its an unemployment payment card. Your card will be similar to a personal debit card.
In addition, you may be able to transfer funds from your unemployment debit card directly to your bank account via a direct deposit transfer if you want to pay your monthly bills that way. Check with your local bank to see if they provide this service.
I Cant Find My Old Debit Card How Do I Order A Replacement
You will need to request a replacement card online through the new Replace My Card tab on the banks website.
to be taken to the Bank of America Maryland UI website.
Please allow 7-10 business days after the order date for the card to arrive in the mail.
If you make another request for a new card while the first card is still in transit, the second request will permanently block the first card.
Don’t Miss: Wa State Unemployment Insurance
Direct Deposit To Your Own Bank Account Or Prepaid Card
Similar to how you may have used direct deposit to receive your paycheck, you can have your money automatically sent to your checking or savings account or a prepaid card that you already own.
What you need to know
- Benefits go directly to your own bank or credit union account or prepaid card
- Access your benefits same as you already do with other money in that account
- Benefits are sent to your account for free
What to watch out for
- Look closely for this option when filling out unemployment forms
- People without their own bank account or prepaid card must open one to take advantage of this option
With direct deposit, you receive your money quickly and safely, and you can manage your unemployment benefits just like any other funds in your account. It also eliminates the risk of paper checks getting lost or stolen, as well as the need to physically deposit or cash it at a bank or credit union.
If you prefer to use a prepaid card, direct deposit is generally an option, but youll want to check first with your card provider to find out if your card is eligible to receive direct deposit. If you dont already have a bank or credit union account or prepaid card, youd need to open a new account first, which many financial institutions are allowing you to do online.
No matter what state you live in, the following information is typically whats required for signing up:
Watch Out For Potential Unemployment Scams
During times of emergencies and natural disasters, the rates of scam activities increase. Its important to stay vigilant and aware of scammers who may pretend to be a government agency in order to gain access to your personal information.
Possible scams include emails, texts, phone calls, or social media messages that appear to come from the U.S. Department of Labor or your states unemployment office, asking you to verify your personal information, including your name, Social Security number, or bank account information. Scammers often also ask for up-front fees in order to process your payments or application.
Recommended Reading: Njuifile Net Sign In
Advantages Of Receiving Benefit Payments On A Debit Card
- Safety: Debit cards are safer than paper checks. If a debit card is lost, damaged or stolen you can contact KeyBank customer service at 1-866-295-2955. KeyBank immediately disables the stolen card and mails a replacement card to you at no charge.
- Paid sooner and faster: You do not have to wait for a check to be delivered each week and you dont need to stand in line at a bank branch to deposit or cash your check. If you file your weekly claim on a regular schedule, your weekly benefit will be loaded onto your debit card on a regular, predictable timeframe.
- No check cashing fees: You can withdraw cash at no charge from your debit card at over 1,500 KeyBank branch ATMs across the country or at 55,000 ATMs in the worldwide Allpoint network . You can also cash the entire card out at KeyBank or any bank that accepts MasterCard.
- Account management: Cardholders have access to online banking to view transactions, pay bills or transfer funds to personal accounts.
- Alerts and notifications: Cardholders can also sign up for a suite of alerts to receive text or email notifications for account activity including any time the card receives a deposit, or is used to make a purchase.
When Do Unemployment Benefits Get Deposited
You can expect to receive your unemployment benefits onto your debit card weekly or biweekly, depending on your states unemployment benefit payment schedule.
For example, Texas and Illinois pay their unemployment benefits on a bi-weekly basis, so you should receive payments on your debit card every two weeks. Georgia pays on a weekly basis, so you can expect to receive payment on your debit card each week.
If you want to check the balance on your card, there are a number of ways to do that. You can check your balance at an ATM or online with your card issuer. Your card issuer may also offer the option to sign up for text alerts.
Another important note: Before you start using your card to spend money, its a good idea to tweak your budget.
Don’t Miss: How To Earn Money When Unemployed