Benefits Of Maryland Unemployment Debit Card
There are several benefits to receiving your Maryland Unemployment benefits via the Bank of America issued debit card, versus via a check in the mail.
Here are the key benefits of the Maryland Unemployment Insurance Benefits Debit Card and why it is a great alternative to paper checks:
Benefits of the card include:
- No more check-cashing fees
- Use everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted in-stores, online, or by phone
- Get access to cash at point of sale terminals, ATMs, and at Visa banks and credit unions
- Use your cards to pay bills in person or online
- Improves control over money take only what you need, when you need it
- Account information and customer service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- You can transfer funds from your debit card to your own bank account.
- Also, you can take the debit card to any Visa bank nationwide to make a cash withdrawal.
What If I Haven’t Received My Unemployment Card
If your card does not arrive within the expected timeline, get in touch with unemployment to explain your situation. Some states may provide a separate customer service number for handling debit card issues. You may also want to check to make sure that your claim was approved.
As a security measure, debit cards are often mailed in plain white envelopes. The envelope may also be printed with an out-of-state return address. To avoid inadvertently throwing away your debit card, be sure to open all your mail while you are waiting for the card to arrive.
Will I Be Charged Fees To Use My Debit Card
Fees can be avoided with careful use of your card. When you receive your debit card and welcome packet, thoroughly read your debit card deposit agreement and refer to the Schedule of Bank Fees section to make sure you understand any transaction and service fees that may apply to your card. Fees can be avoided by following the tips provided in the welcome packet.
There are no fees for the following:
- Cash-back with purchases at grocery stores, drug stores, and U.S. post office locations.
- ATM withdrawals at domestic Bank of America ATMs.
- Two free ATM withdrawals per benefit deposit at non-Bank of America ATMs .
- Unlimited teller cash access at any bank or credit union that accepts Visa® cards.
- Unlimited direct deposit transfers to a checking or savings account .
- Unlimited balance inquiries at ATMs and online customer service.
- Unlimited automated and live customer service inquiries.
- Free domestic card replacement.
Fees may apply for the following:
- ATM withdrawals at non-Bank of America ATMs .
- International ATM withdrawals.
- Non-Bank of America ATM transactions by ATM owners who may impose an additional convenience fee or surcharge fee.
- Domestic Emergency Cash Transfer.
Don’t Miss: What Ticket Number Is Pa Unemployment On
Sign Up For Direct Deposit Or Receive A Reliacard
Due to potential fraud, U.S. Bank has started freezing Reliacards believed to have been involved in identity theft.
If yours has been incorrectly frozen, please contact U.S. bank. If you believe you are a victim of UI fraud please report it here.
For all new claims, the first payment is usually sent by paper check.
The Employment Department pays benefits electronically either by a U.S. Bank ReliaCard® Visa debit card or direct deposit. If you dont apply for direct deposit, you will be sent a ReliaCard®.
With direct deposit, we electronically transfer your weekly benefit payment into your checking or savings account at your bank, credit union, or savings and loan. To apply for direct deposit you will need your routing and account numbers.
- Use the Online Claim System and select electronic deposit,” or
- Print the Authorization for Electronic Deposit Form and send it to us. Note: Due to our current workload, mailing or faxing these forms to us will delay your direct deposit. Using the Online Claim System is the quickest way to receive direct deposit.
How Does Direct Deposit Workdirectdeposit
- Once you set up direct deposit, payments should reach your account within three business days after you request a payment.
- When you complete a new application for benefits, you must also complete a new direct deposit request.
- If you change your bank or bank account, remember to update this information in your benefit account to avoid a delay in payment
My Replacement Debit Card Was Returned What Can I Do
If the post office is unable to deliver a replacement Debit Card, it will be returned to Bank of America.
Heres what you can do:
First, contact the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency to update your address information.
Next, contact the Debit Card Customer Service Center at 1.866.436.1964 to request a new card be mailed to you.
How Do I Calculate My Earnings For The Week
Heres how you can calculate your Michigan Unemployment earnings for the week:
Multiply your hourly rate of pay by the number of hours you worked during the week .
Also, if you are earning income from a part-time job or are still working, but with reduced hours , heres what you need to know:
You are required to report gross earnings for each week you work and certify for benefits.
Additionally, you must report your total gross earnings , for the week in which you performed the work, NOT the week in which you received the payment.
Be sure to add all sources of earnings, including vacation pay, pension or retirement, bonus pay, holiday pay, or severance pay.
Lastly, when certifying each week online or by phone, be sure to answer yes when asked if you worked during a specific week.
Then report your total earnings before deductions.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Sign Up For Unemployment In Washington State
Option : Activate Your Card Online
You can activate your debit card online on the Bank of America Maryland Unemployment Benefit debit card website.
Once there, click on Activate My Card as shown in the image below.
Next, you will be asked to enter your debit card number, as shown in the image below.
Once you have entered your debit card number, click Continue and follow the instructions to activate your card.
For security reasons you will need:
- the 16-digit number that appears on the face of the card
- the 3-digit card security number that appears on the back of the card
- the last four digits of your social security number.
During the activation process, you will be asked to create a personal identification number .
The PIN can be used to make ATM withdrawals and PIN purchases
Once the card is activated, you will be given the account balance and may begin using it immediately.
Getting Your Unemployment Benefits On The Reliacard
Many states offer the choice of receiving unemployment benefits on the U.S. BankReliaCard.1 The COVID-19 pandemic has caused a surge in unemployment claims and a sharp increase in requests for this card.
To help you find information about using the ReliaCard for unemployment benefits, weve pulled together this FAQ list. For more general questions, visit our general ReliaCard FAQ page.
Read Also: Www Njuifile Net 1099 Form
When You Will Receive The Card
If you are eligible, we will issue your first payment approximately four weeks after you apply for benefits. You should receive your ReliaCard in the mail within 10 business days after we send your first payment to U.S. Bank. After the first payment, you should receive payment on your ReliaCard account within two business days after we process your payment requests.
If you qualify for unemployment benefits, you will receive a ReliaCard if:
- You do not sign up for direct deposit or you selected debit card as your payment option, or
- You signed up for payment by direct deposit, but there was a problem verifying your bank account information.
Go to Changing Your Payment Option to change how you receive your benefit payments.
What Is The Michigan Uia Unemployment Debit Card
The Michigan UIA Unemployment Debit Card is used by the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity to pay unemployment benefits.
It is a MasterCard issued by Bank of America.
If you are approved for Unemployment Insurance benefits in Michigan, your benefit payments are applied to this debit card issued to you through the Bank of America.
You do not need to have a bank account to get and use the Debit Card.
Purchases and withdrawals are limited to the balance on your card.
You can then use the Debit Card to make purchases or withdrawals until the funds are exhausted.
The Debit Card is valid for three years.
Read Also: Where Do I Go To File For Unemployment
How The Maryland Unemployment Debit Card Works
Heres how the cards will work:
Once you are approved for Maryland Unemployment benefits and begin to receive your payments on the Debit Card, Bank of America will create a card in your name.
After your first unemployment insurance payment is authorized, Bank of America will mail the debit card to you via the United States Postal Service .
You should receive it the card within 7-10 days.
Whenever you are due to receive your Maryland Unemployment benefit payment, funds will be sent by Electronic Funds Transfer to your Debit Card.
It is important to note that the Maryland Unemployment debit card is NOT a credit card.
Therefore if you try to use your card for purchases that exceed your balance, your transaction may be declined.
Faq: Bank Of America Prepaid Debit Card
You can choose to have your benefit payments issued to a convenient and secure prepaid Bank of America debit card. Here are answers to common questions about how the card works.
When will I receive my debit card?
If you havent applied for Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance benefits before, your debit card will be mailed within 10 days after we review your application. The card will arrive before you find out if your application was approved, so no funds will be available. Benefit payments are only issued to the debit card account if your claim is approved.
If you received a debit card for prior Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance benefits within the past four years, your benefits will be issued to that same debit card account. If the previously issued debit card has expired or you no longer have it, call Bank of America toll-free at 866-213-4074 to request a new one.
Will I get a new debit card every time I apply for benefits?
If you previously received a debit card for a prior Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance claim, your benefits will be issued to that same debit card account. If the previously issued debit card has expired or you no longer have it, call Bank of America toll-free at 866-213-4074 to request a new one.
How long does it take for money to be on my card?
Once a payment is posted, funds should be available on your debit card within two business days of the payment date.
Don’t Miss: How Can I Get Partial Unemployment
Check Your Transaction Disputes Status
Track the status of your transaction disputes on the ReliaCard Cardholder Services Line at 800-657-6343. If you have filed a transaction dispute within the past 120 days, the phone services line will offer you the option of receiving an update on your dispute. Depending on the status, you will hear one of the following messages:
- Open We received your claim and are starting our investigation. Please submit your dispute form back to us if you have not already provided.
- Pending We are in the process of investigating your dispute pending more information or documentation.
- Closed We have completed our investigation and your case is resolved.
Note: If you have submitted multiple transactions disputes within the past 120 days, you will be transferred to an agent when you select the update option.
What To Do If You Lose Your Debit Card
What should you do if you have lost or misplaced your unemployment debit card? If your debit card is damaged, lost, or stolen, check the FAQ section of your state unemployment office for instructions on how to get a replacement card. For example, in California, there’s an 800 number to call to get a replacement card mailed to you.
Also Check: When Does Unemployment Deposit Money In Ga
Frequently Asked Questions For Debit Card
Why is the Department issuing debit cards for unemployment insurance benefits?
In accordance with Alaska Statute 37.25.050, unemployment insurance benefits will be made by electronic funds transfer or electronic payment to an account.
Will everyone filing for UI benefits receive a debit card?
Individuals filing a new claim will have the option of receiving their benefits either through Direct Deposit or Debit Card.
Is there another way to receive my benefits?
If you do not wish to have a debit card and you have a checking or savings account, you may change the payment method to direct deposit. To sign up for direct deposit, login to , click on Unemployment Insurance Benefits to sign up for direct deposit. You may also use the VICTOR automated phone filing system to enroll .
Can I still receive my UI benefits by check?
Checks are only available to individuals who live in areas without an Allpoint ATM. To find out if an Allpoint ATM is available in your area, go to and enter your zip code.
How do I sign up for a debit card?
If you want to sign up for a debit card, logon to click on Unemployment Insurance Benefits and choose debit card. You should receive your card and welcome packet from KeyBank within seven days. Funds will be added to your card on your next filing cycle.
When will I receive my debit card?
What if I am signed up for direct deposit?
Why Have I Not Received My Maryland Unemployment Debit Card What Is My Card Status
I have waited more than 10 business days and have still not received by debit card. When will I receive my unemployment debit card?
You will not receive a Bank of America debit card in the mail if:
- you are determined to be ineligible for benefits,
- have requested to receive benefit payments through paper checks, or
- have already received a debit card from the State of Maryland that is less than three years old.
Also Check: Kdol Bank Of America
Protect Your Card Information
U.S Bank will not ask for sensitive account information such as your PIN, password, or account number via e-mail, phone, or text message. Beware of e-mail scams that try to steal your personal banking information by claiming there are problems with your unemployment payment, with your debit card, or with your account.
If you receive a phone call, e-mail or text asking for any such information, forward the note to and then delete the message. If you believe you may have accidentally shared your information, or if you have questions about your debit card, call U.S. Bank ReliaCard customer service at 800-657-6343.
For more information regarding schemes that target debit card users, or to learn how to recognize common scams and what you can do to avoid them, visit:
What Is A Direct Deposit Transfer
A direct deposit transfer is done electronically and transfers the money available on your debit card account to your personal checking or savings account. Most can be done fairly quickly. After you receive and activate your card, contact Bank of America either online or by phone, 1-866-692-9374 , or TTY 1-866-656-5913, to set up your direct deposit transfer.
Important Information about direct deposit transfers:
- Direct deposit transfers cannot be performed until you receive and activate the debit card.
- You do not need a checking or savings account with Bank of America to set up a direct deposit transfer to your own bank account with another banking institution.
- Direct deposit transfers can be set up as a one-time transfer or as an automatic recurring transfer.
- A valid email account is required.
- Delays may occur until the next business day if you bank at a smaller institution or if the transfer happens over a weekend when banks are closed.
- This option can be set up by contacting Bank of America either online or by phone, 1-866-692-9374 or 1-866-656-5913 . Do not contact the EDD to set up a direct deposit transfer.
- If immediate access to your funds is critical, you may choose to only have a portion of your benefits transferred to your personal bank account and keep the remainder on your card so those funds are immediately available.
- You may begin, modify, or stop your direct deposit transfer at any time.
- Direct deposit transfers may also be referred to as a funds transfer.
Using A Debit Mastercard
Your first Unemployment Insurance benefits payment will always be in the form of a paper check. You will receive this check approximately 3-4 weeks after you apply for unemployment benefits.
After the first paper check, you will receive benefits via the debit card unless you sign up for direct deposit to a checking or savings account. You must activate your debit card when you receive it. The DUA Debit MasterCard® is a safe and secure method of receiving your unemployment benefits.
With the DUA debit card, you can:
- Get quicker access to your benefits
- Avoid overdraft fees
- Pay for items everywhere that MasterCard® debit cards are accepted at no charge, including:
- In stores