Why Would My Unemployment Claim Be Denied Or Disqualified
Even if you earn enough wages in your benefit period to qualify for unemployment insurance benefits, there are other reasons why you might be denied or disqualified. The Louisiana Employment Security Law says you cannot receive benefits under any of these circumstances:
- You left your employer without good cause.
- You were fired for misconduct or illegal activities related to your employment. This includes the use of illegal drugs and/or alcohol. Misconduct shall include discharge for either on- or off-the-job use of nonprescription controlled substances.
- You fraudulently seek or receive benefits to which you are not entitled.
- You did not apply for available and suitable work as directed by LWC, or you did not accept suitable work that was offered to you.
- You are unemployed due to a labor strike where you were employedif you are participating in or stand to profit from the dispute.
- You seek or receive benefits from another state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, or Canada.
- You receive wages in lieu of notice, compensation under the workers compensation law, payments under any pension plan toward the cost of which a base period employer is contributing or has contributed in your behalf, vacation pay, severance or dismissal pay, or holiday pay. However, if the amount of money you received through these is less than the weekly benefit amount you would receive, you will be paid the difference.
State Unemployment Contact And Application Information
According to the Alabama Department of Labor’s Secretary Fitzgerald Washington, more than $1 billion has been paid in COVID-19 related unemployment compensation benefits. These benefits have been claimed under the CARES Act: Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation , Pandemic Unemployment Assistance , and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation .
To file a UI claim online, visit Alabama’s State government’s website. For general information about its UI program, read more here.
If you wish to claim by telephone, call 1-866-234-5382 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.
To file a UI claim in this State, visit or call:
- Anchorage UI Claim Center: 1-907-269-4700
- Fairbanks UI Claim Center: 1-907-451-2871
More information about eligibility and which benefits are on offer can be found on the State’s Department of Labor’s website.
To file a new UI claim, visit the State’s Department of Economic Security’s website. You can also call 1-877-600-2722 to apply over the phone.
UI claims can be filed online and over the phone on 1-501-907-2590, Monday to Friday.
UI claims can be made online here and over the phone on 1-800-300-5616. If you prefer to use the self-service line, call 1-866-333-4606.
- Monday: Letters A-E
- Friday: If You Missed Your Day
How Do I Talk To A Live Person At Edd Unemployment 2020
How to Call a Live Person in EDD Customer Service
Keeping this in consideration, Cant get through to CA EDD?
The EDD phone numbers, 1-833-978-2511 or 1-800-300-5616, go to the same center. They operate from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. PDT. Best times to call seem to be around 10:15 a.m. or between 6 or 7 p.m.
Secondly Can I go to EDD in person? Office Closures
These EDD offices are closed or available by appointment only: America Job Centers of CaliforniaSM by appointment only. Contact your local AJCC for more information. For the fastest service, file a claim online or access your Disability Insurance claim information with SDI Online.
Is EDD closed today?
All EDD payroll tax offices are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except on state holidays.
Also Check: How Do I Pay Taxes On Unemployment Benefits
How Do You Get Through To Edd
The EDD phone numbers, 1-833-978-2511 or 1-800-300-5616, go to the same center. They operate from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. PDT. Best times to call seem to be around 10:15 a.m. or between 6 or 7 p.m. To reach an EDD representative about an existing claim, try pressing 1 during the first recording, then press 2, then press 4.
How Much Will My Florida Unemployment Benefits Pay
The weekly payment amount you receive during unemployment will vary from person to person. The only way to be sure of your benefit amount is to submit a claim.
The state determines your weekly benefit payments based on your previous earnings during employment. In 2020, you can receive a maximum of $275 per week for 12 weeks. You are entitled to a maximum benefit amount of $3,300.
You will continue to receive Reemployment Assistance weekly for up to 12 weeks. When you secure a job, the payments will stop. However, working part-time or temporarily does not necessarily end the benefits.
Don’t Miss: How To File Unemployment In Illinois Online
Next Steps For Apply For Unemployment Benefits
Request weekly benefits
You must request weekly benefits every week that you are unemployed. You will make your first weekly benefit request the week after you file your claim for unemployment benefits.
Begin your work search
You must begin searching for work immediately . Track your search for new employment by using the Work Search Activity Log.
DUA will review your application
DUA will review your application and confirm details of your application with your former employer. If you provided an email address when you filed your claim, you will receive an email from DUA asking you to verify your email address.
DUA will send a Monetary Determination
This notice tells you how much youll potentially receive in unemployment benefits.
Respond to questionnaires from DUA
If there is a question of eligibility, you’ll receive a fact-finding questionnaire from DUA requesting information from you. You must respond to this questionnaire by the deadline specified. Failure to respond may result in a disqualification from receiving benefits.
DUA will send a Non-Monetary Determination
This notice tells you whether youve been approved for unemployment benefits. If your application is denied, you can appeal the decision within 10 days.
What To Do If You Receive An Overpayment Notice
But what about people who are just caught in the middle of an antiquated system that is ill-equipped to handle requests from the newly unemployed? Lets posit that youve received a notice from your state unemployment office claiming that youve been overpaid by thousands of dollars. There was no red flag. You followed all the steps required in your initial filing, have been diligently certifying your claim weekly, and have been receiving the assistance that you thought was due to you. Now youve been told that you owe someor allof that back. What can you do?
- File an AppealIf you feel that you received the notice in error, go to your state unemployment website to request a hearing.
- Request a WaiverIf the overpayment is legitimate, then you may be entitled to either a waiver or forgiveness of it. Either way, you may only have a small window of time to request such an action, so be sure to check with your states requirements.
- Repay the MoneyEither contact your state department of labor to work out a repayment plan or simply pay the amount back in full.
You May Like: Where To Sign Up For Unemployment Benefits
How Much Has Been Overpaid
According to U.S. Department of Labor Statistics, states reported more than $3.6 billion of PUA overpayments from March 2020 through February 2021. In addition, states flagged overpayments of regular unemployment insurance totaling $12.9 billion from April 2020 through March 2021, according to a July 2021 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Historically, the bulk of overpayments have been tied to unintentional errors on the part of filers and/or the agencies with which they are filing. Some reasons that overpayments occur are:
- Reporting incorrect earnings
- Incorrect wage history
Possible Statements Made By Arkline After Certification:
Your claim must be reactivated because the earnings you reported for the previous week were excessive. Contact your local office within 7 days to provide the name and address of your last employer, the last day you worked, and the reason for separation if no longer working. If you do not contact your local office within 7 days, your claim will remain inactive and this week will not be paid.
There is a question regarding your eligibility for benefits for the week ending __________. Your weekly claim cannot be processed. You must contact your local office within 7 days. The telephone number is: Area Code ___ ___-____. If you do not contact your local office within 7 days, your weekly claim will not be accepted or processed and may result in the denial of benefits. You may contact your local office Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
NOTE: If you have been enrolled in school or started an approved training program, but are no longer attending classes, you MUST notify your local office immediately.
The Information Desk is here to provide help and information to our customers who choose to contact us by telephone, email or fax. Our goal is to ensure that the customers issue is resolved to the customers satisfaction. To do this, the Information Desk staff will periodically contact customers to ensure their question or issue was handled in a satisfactory manner.
Hours of Operation:Monday Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
You May Like: How Much Is Unemployment In Alabama
Other Types Of Benefits And Programs For The Unemployed
Federal agencies offer many unemployment education and training programs. They are generally free or low cost to the unemployed.
Self-employment assistance programs help unemployed workers start their own small businesses. Delaware, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, and Oregon offer this program.
How Do I Get My Pin Number For Marvin
To make your first MARVIN unemployment call, you first call in and select a four-digit PIN number that you use for the duration of your claim. You need this number every time you call MARVIN, so dont lose it. After you establish your PIN, follow the voice prompts to complete your claim or get the information you need.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Paid For Unemployment
Appeal A Denial Of Benefits
If you were denied unemployment benefits, you may file an appeal online. The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity refers to those seeking benefits as Claimants. Claimants, employers, and authorized representatives may appeal a decision that was not made in their favor.
You must wait until after a determination is mailed or delivered to file an appeal. The determination will also contain instructions on how to file your appeal after a denial of benefits.
How Unemployment Works In Louisiana
How Long Will I Qualify For Mi Unemployment Benefits
Michigan allows residents to collect unemployment benefits for a maximum of 20 weeks per benefit year, regardless of wheter you find a job, stop benefits, and need to reapply later on in the year. This means there must be at least 52 weeks between Michigan unemployment claim filings to receive full benefits. For example:
- If you lose your job in March 2020 and receive unemployment benefits, you qualify for 20 weeks of payments. If you receive 15 weeks of benefits and find a new job, youll have five remaining weeks of benefits to access. If you are laid off again in January of 2021, you can utilize these five weeks, and are not entitled to any further payments because a full calendar year has not passed since you first filed.
- On the other hand, if 52 weeks has passed, you may be eligible to receive the full benefits period of 20 weeks. If you became unemployed in June 2019 and collected all 20 weeks of benefits, you are no longer eligible to receive any further payments for the year. Say you find a new job after that time and are employed. If you face another layoff after June 2020, youll be able to file a new claim and will qualify for the full 20 weeks because one whole calendar year has passed since your first claim.
In most cases, it is not possible to receive a Michigan unemployment extension. Previously, the state has only allowed extensions in times where economic downturn has created high Michigan unemployment rates.
State Unemployment Phone Numbers And Getting In Touch With A Live Agent For Help With Your Ui Claim
One thing many readers have been complaining about when it comes to getting help or information on their pending UI payment or current unemployment claim is finding a number to call so that they can get through to someone they can speak to. The challenge is that with the several enhanced unemployment programs now in place or being rolled out, ongoing staffing shortages at state UI agencies due to COVID work restrictions and ongoing system/IT issues with unemployment filing systems it is very hard to get through a live person that can help you.
This has been acutely felt with the 2021 unemployment extensions and for PUA claimants who had exhausted their benefits. With state agencies focusing resources on updating programs and IT systems to administer the UI program extensions, they have little time to take calls and actively help those desperately looking for help with their claims and wondering when they will start getting paid.
Thats why most agencies are directing people to their website or social media channels to get more information. But a lot of time that information is generic and not helpful for most people with issues specific to their claim. So with that in mind here state UI agency contact numbers and some tips and tricks to get through to a live person.
Stay In the Know:or follow us on , and
Jump to your State
Covered in this Article:
Also Check: How To Apply For Unemployment In Pa
How Do I File For Unemployment Benefits In Louisiana
Before you file a claim, you will need to gather several pieces of information:
- Social Security number
- Employers names, addresses, and phone numbers, including any part-time or staffing agency work you may have done for the past 18 months
- The start and end dates for current/most recent employer
- If you are not a US citizen, you will also need your Alien Registration Number.
- If you served in the US military during the preceding 18 months, you will also need your DD-214 Member Copy 4 form.
- If you worked for the federal government during the preceding 18 months, you will need your SF-8 form, if available.
To file a claim for unemployment insurance benefits in Louisiana, you can call the states Unemployment Insurance Call Center at 1-866-783-5567, or you can file a claim online. This applies both to initial claims and ongoing weekly claims.
For assistance in filing a claim and job search services, you can also visit one of the states Business and Career Solution Centers. You can use the LWCs Local Office/Services locator tool to find the office nearest to you.
Michigan Unemployment Benefits And Eligibility
COVID-19 UPDATE: Because the coronavirus pandemic has left so many Americans jobless, the federal government has given states more flexibility in granting unemployment benefits. Youll need to apply for these benefits through your states unemployment insurance program, but if you have questions about whether youre eligible for benefits read our COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits and Insurance FAQ. Also, before submitting a claim, be sure to check out Michigans Handbook for Unemployed Workers.
Read Also: Can I Apply For Food Stamps If Unemployed