What Is Federal Unemployment Extension In Virginia
An unemployment extension is administered by the federal government in partnership with Virginia. There are two parts to the program: Emergency Unemployment Compensation and Extended Benefits . EUCs federal unemployment extension was temporarily enacted during the 2008 recession to prevent harm to unemployed individuals. The Extended Benefits program was the permanent program created for times when Virginias unemployment rate rises above a certain rate.
What Documents Do I Need To File My Claim
Although your initial application was made by phone or internet, to protect your identity, you may be asked to provide your Social Security card and a photo ID for verification purposes. Make sure you have these items available and can provide them upon request. If you are not a citizen of the United States, you will be asked to supply government issued documentation showing your work status. Your document must include an identification number, the name of the agency that issued the document, and an expiration date.
You will be asked to complete an Initial Unemployment Compensation Application, wherein you will provide the business names and complete mailing addresses for all employers for whom you worked during the last 18 months, along with the dates of employment and reason for separation from each employer.
If you were separated from the following entities, you will be asked to provide the following forms:
- Military: DD-214 form, the number four copy
- Federal government: SF-8 form
- Federal Emergency Management Agency : SF-8 form and SF-50 form.
One Email A Day Could Help You Save Thousands
Tips and tricks from the experts delivered straight to your inbox that could help you save thousands of dollars. Sign up now for free access to our Personal Finance Boot Camp.
By submitting your email address, you consent to us sending you money tips along with products and services that we think might interest you. You can unsubscribe at any time. Please read our Privacy Statement and Terms & Conditions.
Recommended Reading: Unemployment Tennessee Application
File An Initial Or Weekly / Continued Claim
Thank you for visiting the Virginia Employment Commission. The VEC is currently accepting claims and weekly claims by telephone only at this time.You can file a claim using the IVR by calling 1-866-832-2363 or file a weekly claim by calling 1-800-897-5630.
Welcome to the Virginia Employment Commission Workforce Services Unemployment Insurance claim filing system. In order to file for Unemployment Insurance you must have been separated from your employer or have had your hours reduced.
You should not attempt to file a Virginia claim if:
- Your last employer was a federal civilian employer in a state other than Virginia . The only exception is if you worked as a federal civilian overseas.
- Your employment within the last 18 months was performed in a state or states other than Virginia.
You will need the following information to file your claim:
- Your Social Security Number
- The accurate employer names, addresses, telephone numbers and dates of employment within the last 18 months.
- The name and local number of your local union hall, if you obtain work through a union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a US citizen.
- If you have any Non-Virginia employers you must have an accurate mailing address, phone number, and dates of employment for them.
- You will be asked to select a method of payment: VA Debit Card or Direct Deposit. If you select Direct Deposit, you will need to have your Routing Number and your Account Number .
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED!
When Should I Receive My Unemployment Tax Form
Go the website of your states labor department. Navigate to the page that provides information on unemployment claims. This page should explain your states time frame to mail 1099-Gs to residents who received unemployment benefits during the tax year in question. In most cases, 1099-Gs for the previous year are mailed on or before January 31. For example, if you collected unemployment in 2018, the 1099-G should have been mailed by January 31, 2019. While on your states website, copy the contact information so you can contact the office directly if necessary.
You May Like: Unemployment Ticket Tracker Pa
Claim Denials Or Discrepancies
If your claim has been denied or if it is suffering from discrepancies, you can appeal to the VEC by sending a written appeal to the Clerk of The Commission or by filing at your local VEC office.
All forms must contain appropriate information, including your name, Social Security Number, why your claim was denied, why it shouldnt have been, and any evidence backing up your claims.
It must be filed within 30 days of the date the letter was mailed or the date you received it online . It will require a hearing, which you can either use legal counsel at or defend yourself.
Appeals Process for Denied Claims
Unemployed? We want to help.
If you want to file for an appeal of a denied claim, you need to follow these steps:
- Fill out your appeal form and mail it to the address indicated below
- Wait to hear back on the date of your hearing
- Read the Ã¢Notice of AppealÃ¢ carefully
- Start gathering witnesses who can help your case, including ex-coworkers and managers
- Submit the name and fees of your attorney, should you choose one, to the appeal judge for approval
- Attend the hearing dressed in appropriate clothes, such as a suit and tie, though complete formality is not strictly required
- Present your case to the judge in a respectful way, presenting your evidence and your witnesses at the appointed time Ã¢ you and your employer will both get your chances to do so
- Finish the appeal session and go home to wait for the decision Ã¢ youll usually get this within a week or so
How To Apply For West Virginia Unemployment Online
How do I file a West Virginia Unemployment Claim? is a common question most recently terminated workers ask. West Virginia residents can file an unemployment claim online at . Many claimants who prefer to sign up in person can visit a West Virginia unemployment office and use the computers provided and get help if needed.
All applicants should learn how the West Virginia unemployment system works as many of the requirements for continuing to receive benefits must be done online. Most applicants prefer to file for West Virginia unemployment online as it can be done at their own pace, they can also pause the application in order to find the correct documentation.
Read Also: Minnesota Unemployment Maximum
How Do I Apply
To receive unemployment insurance benefits, you need to file a claim with the unemployment insurance program in the state where you worked. Depending on the state, claims may be filed in person, by telephone, or online.
- You should contact your state’s unemployment insurance program as soon as possible after becoming unemployed.
- Generally, you should file your claim with the state where you worked. If you worked in a state other than the one where you now live or if you worked in multiple states, the state unemployment insurance agency where you now live can provide information about how to file your claim with other states.
- When you file a claim, you will be asked for certain information, such as addresses and dates of your former employment. To make sure your claim is not delayed, be sure to give complete and correct information.
- It generally takes two to three weeks after you file your claim to receive your first benefit check.
Does This Exemption Apply To Benefits Im Receiving Now Should I Stop Withholding
This exemption only applies to UI benefits received in 2020, and does not affect benefits paid out after December 31, 2020. Withholding can help to avoid a large tax bill next tax season. Given that many workers had issues setting up withholding on benefit payments last year, or were unaware that the option was available, you may want to inquire about your withholding options currently in place for your benefits.
Also Check: Tennessee Apply For Unemployment
Are You Out Of Work Through No Fault Of Your Own
You must be out of work through no fault of your own to qualify for unemployment benefits in Virginia.
Collecting Unemployment After a Layoff
If you were laid off, lost your job in a reduction-in-force , or got downsized for economic reasons, you will meet this requirement.
Collecting Unemployment After Being Fired
If you were fired because you lacked the skills to perform the job or simply werent a good fit, you wont necessarily be barred from receiving benefits. If, however, you were fired for misconduct, you may be disqualified from receiving benefits. For example, you will likely be ineligible for benefits if you were fired for lying about your criminal record, failing a drug test, or being repeatedly late or absent in violation of a known policy of your employer.
Collecting Unemployment After Quitting
You wont be eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit your job voluntarily, without good cause. In general, good cause means that you had a compelling reason that left you no other choice than to leave. For example, if you left your job because of dangerous working conditions or discrimination that your employer refused to stop, you may be able to collect benefits. If you quit your job to relocate with a spouse who had to move for a new military assignment, you will still be eligible for benefits.
Recommended Reading: Can You File Bankruptcy On Unemployment Overpayment
I Have Not Received My Virginia Unemployment Card What Should I Do
After you are approved for Virginia unemployment benefits, the Virginia Employment Commission will offer you the option of receiving your benefits on the Way2Go debit card.
If you selected to get your benefits via the Way2Go debit card, the card will typically be mailed to you soon after your benefits are approved.
If you do not receive your debit card within 15 days after your Unemployment claim is filed, heres what you can do:
Don’t Miss: How Do I Apply For Unemployment In Tn
Features Of The Virginia Ui Way2go Debit Mastercard
- There is no minimum balance requirement, and the monthly fee for recipients who remain in active status will never exceed $1.
- You can set up Direct Deposit to have your monthly funds automatically transferred to your checking account so that you instantly have money to pay bills etc.
- Unlimited free customer service to answer all your questions
- No Need for waiting for paper checks
- No fees for cashing paper checks
How To Get Cobra
Group health plans must give covered employees and their families a notice explaining their COBRA rights. Plans must have rules for how COBRA coverage is offered, how beneficiaries may choose to get it and when they can stop coverage. For more COBRA information, see COBRA Premium Subsidy. The page links to information about COBRA including:
You May Like: Pennsylvania Unemployment Ticket Number
What Happens After I File My Virginia Unemployment Application
The claimant can check on the status of their Virginia unemployment application but should wait at least a week before doing so, as it takes at least a week or two for the office to verify information and to upload it into the database. Once Virginia approves the application for unemployment in, they will notify the beneficiary by email and by regular mail with a case number or PIN. To receive benefit payment, the Virginia unemployment registration process requires approved enrollees to submit a claim biweekly to claim their benefits. Applicants denied unemployment insurance by their employer will also receive a notification indicating the reason and the next steps they should take.
During the time that the claimant is receiving funds from the Virginia unemployment, he or she will be required to adhere to the rules and regulations. Failure to do so could result in a denial of benefits for the duration of the claim weeks.
Apply For Unemployment Insurance Benefits Immediately
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, it can take about 23 weeks from the day you applied to receive your first unemployment payment.
Therefore, if you are eligible to receive unemployment insurance, the sooner you file your claim the sooner youll receive your benefits.
Also, the sooner you file, the less likely you are to tap into your savings or use a credit card to cover essential expenses.
Don’t Miss: Max Unemployment Benefits Mn
How To Claim Weekly Benefits
To file your weekly claims by telephone, you must:
- Enter your Social Security Number and your profile PIN using a touch tone phone
- Answer if you were seeking work during the week
- Enter the number of contacts you made
- Say the names of the employers you contacted
- Indicate if you refused work offers
- Note if you failed to get a job due to a positive drug test
- Let them know if you just stopped work or training
- Answer if you received pension, holiday, vacation, or Workmans Compensation that week
- Enter if you did any work, including self-employment
- Input the money you made. If the answer is yes, also include the date you started working.
You can also answer these questions via your VEC online account. The questions will be the same, so make sure to have the same level of information available that you would when using the telephone.
How To File Weekly Claims
To file your weekly claims in the state of Virginia log on to www.vec.virginia.gov/unemployed or go through the Voice Response System . Always use a touchtone phone while using the VRS. Keep your social security number, PIN and job contacts ready.
To hear the VRS in English press 1, to hear the VRS in Spanish press 2. To reach your claim and benefits press 1. To file your weekly claim benefits press 2. Then enter your 9-digit social security number. Enter your 6-digit pin. Always remember to speak clearly when speaking to the VRS.
Once you answer all your questions you will be informed whether your claim will be processed or not.
To file a toll-free claim you can call in at 1-866-832-2363 from Monday to Friday between 8:15 am and 4:30 pm . To file weekly claims, call toll free at 1-800-897-5630.
Don’t Miss: File For Unemployment In Pennsylvania
How Does Virginia Determine If There Are Extended Benefits
The Extension of unemployment benefits is in effect if three weeks has passed since the federal on indicator for Virginia. The federal indicator is activated for Virginia if: 1) the VEC and Department of Labor agree that the current unemployment rate is higher than the proceeding 13 week period during the last two years, or 2) the unemployment rate exceeded 5% with seasonal adjustment, or 6.5% without seasonal adjustment.
Also Check: Myflorida Flccid
Filing An Appeal In Virginia
If you are denied Virginia unemployment benefits, you have the right to appeal. You are not given much time to file an appeal, so be sure to request a hearing as soon as possible. You can do so in any of the following ways:
- In person at the VEC local office at which your original unemployment claim was filed. Appeal forms are available in all local offices, and appeals delivered by courier are considered in-person filings.
- Online via the Virginia Internet Appeals website.
Once your appeal has been submitted, it will be reviewed to determine whether your original decision was correct.
Don’t Miss: Maximum Unemployment Benefits Mn
Call Virginia Way2go Phone Number
The first step to activating your Way2Go card is to call the customer service phone number.
The number to call is 1-800-861-8423.
Press 1 for English
Next, you will be asked to enter your Way2Go card number.
Follow the instructions for card activation.
After you have entered your card number, you will be asked by the auto attendant to enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
Next, you will be asked to enter your date of birth .
Lastly, you will be asked to select a four-digit PIN.
Enter the four-digit PIN a second time to verify.
How To Apply For Unemployment Benefits In Virginia
In order to apply for Virginia unemployment, residents must meet specific requirements. If you lose your job it is recommended that you apply for Virginiaunemployment benefits within a week in order to maximize what you can be paid. Benefits will not begin until your Virginia unemployment application is received and processed. The approval process can take at least one week.
To learn where you can apply for Virginia unemployment and what happens after you submit your application, read below.
- Preparing the required documents.
- How to apply for Virginia unemployment benefits online.
- What to do after you filed your application.
Also Check: Sign Up For Unemployment In Tennessee
Unemployed Virginians Hoping New Claim System Will Work
RICHMOND, Va. After a week and a half hiatus, Virginians can file their unemployment claimsonline again. This time they can use anew system that was implemented by the Virginia Employment Commission as part of modernization efforts.
The Virginia Unemployment Insurance System went live on Wednesday evening after a scheduled maintenance period.
It couldnt come too soon for David Martin of Norfolk.
He was unemployed for four months earlier this year and has since found work, but says hes still behind from being out of work back then.
I got approved and got a letter stating how much I would get, he said, adding it turned out to be $7,800.
Still, he says he has yet to see any benefits.
Usually you cant get through but every now and then I get through, and all I get is Im backlogged, thats all they can tell me, he said.
Like others whove contacted 10 On Your Side, Martin says sometimes hell be on hold for a long time and then the line just disconnects.
We asked the VEC specifically Thursday morning about how the agency has addressed the problems with the customer service line. We will update this story with any response.
A statement from the employment commission said that there are more enhancements coming in the future.