Who Is Eligible To Receive Unemployment Compensation
Your state establishes eligibility requirements for unemployment insurance coverage, with primary requirements including having worked for a certain period of time and your job having been lost through circumstances beyond your control, typically a layoff or a furlough.
Typically, you must be considered an employeeas opposed to an independent contractorat a company that pays into the unemployment insurance fund for your state. However, benefit guidelines have changed due to the coronavirus.
Self-employed workers may be eligible for unemployment benefits. Check with your state department of labor for information on qualifying.
If you meet the eligibility requirements established by your state, you are entitled to receive temporary compensation, generally half your earnings up to a maximum amount.
Wrongful termination can result in eligibility for unemployment benefits, as well as possibly some company benefits.
Individual Filing An Initial Claim
A claim for Unemployment Insurance may be filed in person at any Arkansas Workforce Center office. A valid government ID is required .
UI claimant forms are also available online, as well as located in most public buildings for filing claims by mail. Learn more about filing a claim and eligibility for benefits.
EZARC is another option to file an initial or additional claim for Arkansas Unemployment Insurance via the Internet. If you are working less than full-time, or have completely separated from your last job, you may file your Arkansas Unemployment Insurance claim from your own home computer. To file an EZARC online claim, you must have access to a computer, a printer and an Internet connection.
Important Information Concerning Your Account For Online Unemployment Insurance Services
What is changing and how does that affect me?
You have established a claim for Unemployment Insurance benefits with the Virginia Employment Commission. If you filed on line, your account would have been established through vawc.virginia.gov
This notice is to advise you of a change in our online UI claim process. Your claim for unemployment insurance is still on file with the Virginia Employment Commission but you will have to take certain steps to continue and maintain online access to your claim.
Auxiliary Aids and Services
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Change My Address For Unemployment Online
How To Get Cobra
Group health plans must give covered employees and their families a notice explaining their COBRA rights. Plans must have rules for how COBRA coverage is offered, how beneficiaries may choose to get it and when they can stop coverage. For more COBRA information, see COBRA Premium Subsidy. The page links to information about COBRA including:
Filing For Weekly Benefits
Once youve filed your initial claim for unemployment benefits, you can access your account each week and apply for benefits, check on the status of the claim to see when payment was made, and review how much unemployment compensation is left in your account. Mark your calendar with the day you need to file. Payment won’t be made unless you file for benefits each week for which you’re eligible.
While receiving unemployment, you must be actively willing to work and actively looking for work. The definitions of actively willing to work and actively looking for work also vary by state.
Also Check: Can You Get Unemployment If You Are Fired
Apply For Regular Ui:
If you’re out of work through no fault of your own, and you’ve worked for a covered employer in the last 18 months, you’ll need to apply for regular UI benefits before you can begin filing a weekly claim.
Please make sure you have these documents ready to go to make your application quick and easy:
- You will receive a Claim Confirmation and Instructions form.
- The Handbook for Claimants is online. You are responsible for knowing the information provided in this handbook.
- If you qualify for unemployment benefits, we will send you a notice with the amount of benefits you can receive.
- If you do not qualify for unemployment benefits, we will send you a notice that tells you why.
- If you are required to perform a weekly work search orif you work less than full-time you mustregister for work with Wisconsin Job Service and complete a rÃ©sumÃ© within 14 days of the date you completed your application for unemployment benefits.
Hours of Operation: Online services are available at the following times to apply for Regular UI benefits:
Information Required When Filing For Unemployment Insurance Benefits
The following information is needed when filing for UI benefits:
- social security number
- name, payroll address and telephone number of your last employer
- start and end dates of your last job
- whether or not you will receive vacation pay, severance, etc.
- alien registration number
- DD-214 if you served in the U.S. military during the last 18 months
- Verifying your identity by answering security questions
- Standard Form 8 if you worked for the federal government in the last 18 months
- name, date of birth, and social security number of any dependents that are claimed as exemptions on your federal income tax return
- Spouses may be claimed as a dependent if their gross wages were $120.00 or less in the week prior to filing your claim.
- Self-employment does not count as gross wages for dependent purposes.
Recommended Reading: How To Earn Money When Unemployed
Avoid Unemployment Filing Scams
Unemployment benefit scams typically involve websites offering to file for unemployment benefits for you. The sites provide a form for unemployed workers to fill out to supposedly collect unemployment compensation. In other cases, phone calls or email may be used to solicit personal information from unemployed workers.
However, a third party cannot file for unemployment for you. Youre the only person who can apply for unemployment and your claim has to be filed directly with your state unemployment office. Make sure you’re applying directly on your state’s unemployment website before entering any personal information.
S To Create An Online Account
IMPORTANT: USE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT.
1. Click on Create an Online Account on the DES homepage, des.nc.gov.
2. Enter your Social Security Number twice.
3. Select Next. On the User Account Creation page:
- Create a User Name .
- Enter a valid email address twice.
- Create a PIN number .
- Enter your contact phone number.
- Create a Password .
4.Select Create Account.
5.You can now Sign In at des.nc.gov. Use the User Name and Password you entered when creating your Online Account in Step 3.
Creating an Online Account for Claimants
What Is Unemployment Insurance
Unemployment insurance is compensation provided to workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own, providing monetary payments for a specific period of time or until the worker finds a new job.
Benefits are provided by state unemployment insurance programs within guidelines established by federal law. Eligibility for unemployment insurance, benefit amounts, and the length of time benefits are available are determined by laws in your state.
Before You Apply: Gather Your Documents And Information
For regular unemployment insurance benefits, you will need:
- Your name, Social Security number, birthdate and contact information.
- Your complete work history for the past 18 months including:
- employer name
- start and end dates of employment for each employer
Read Also: Individual Unemployability Va
Your Unemployment Benefit Services Password
When you sign up for online services, you will select a User ID and password. Your password protects your identity and privacy. It has the same legal authority as your signature on a paper document. Do not give your password to anyone, not even to a family member or TWC employee. You are responsible for any payment request made using your User ID and password.
If you have a User ID and password from WorkInTexas.com, use that User ID and password to logon to Unemployment Benefit Services. For more about the password requirements, go to Managing Your Benefits Password & PIN.
Other Types Of Benefits And Programs For The Unemployed
Federal agencies offer many unemployment education and training programs. They are generally free or low cost to the unemployed.
Self-employment assistance programs help unemployed workers start their own small businesses. Delaware, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, and Oregon offer this program.
Also Check: How Do I Sign Up For Unemployment In Ohio
Important Tips To Ensure Your Application Can Be Processed Timely
Unfortunately, identity theft is a common occurrence. Identity thieves sometimes use stolen identities to apply for unemployment benefits.
To verify your identity, we review your answers to ALL questions. We also verify the information you provide using other data sources. It is very important to read each question carefully and to give an accurate, complete response. Incorrect or incomplete information will result in delays in payments .
Here are some tips:
File Your Weekly Claims
*** IMPORTANT: to get any money, you must file weekly claims. ***
To start getting unemployment benefits, you need to file a weekly claim. This is different than the initial claim. You have to file both to get your money.
A weekly claim is how we figure out how much money to send you for that week. A week is Sunday through Saturday. You cant submit a weekly claim until the week is over.
To keep getting benefits, you need to file a weekly claim every week. File a weekly claim even if you worked that week. You need to report your hours and earnings for any work you did that week.
File your weekly claims even if you dont know if your application has been approved yet. It can take at least four weeks for us to process your application. If your application is approved, we will send you money for all the past weeks you were eligible for, as long as you filed your weekly claims.
Read Also: Va Unemployability Benefits
Indiana Unemployment Benefits And Eligibility
COVID-19 UPDATE:Because the coronavirus pandemic has left so many Americans jobless, the federal government has given states more flexibility in granting unemployment benefits. If you have questions about whether youre eligible for unemployment benefits read our COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits and Insurance FAQ and check out Indiana’s claimant handbook.
Minnesota Unemployment Benefits And Eligibility
COVID-19 UPDATE:Because the coronavirus pandemic has left so many Americans jobless, the federal government has given states more flexibility in granting unemployment benefits. Youll need to apply for these benefits through your states unemployment insurance program, but if you have questions about whether youre eligible for benefits read our COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits and Insurance FAQ. Also, before submitting a claim in Minnesota, be sure to check out Minnesotas claimant handbook.
Recommended Reading: How To Apply For Va Individual Unemployability
Next Steps For Apply For Unemployment Benefits
Request weekly benefits
You must request weekly benefits every week that you are unemployed. You will make your first weekly benefit request the week after you file your claim for unemployment benefits.
Begin your work search
You must begin searching for work immediately . Track your search for new employment by using the Work Search Activity Log.
DUA will review your application
DUA will review your application and confirm details of your application with your former employer. If you provided an email address when you filed your claim, you will receive an email from DUA asking you to verify your email address.
DUA will send a Monetary Determination
This notice tells you how much youll potentially receive in unemployment benefits.
Respond to questionnaires from DUA
If there is a question of eligibility, you’ll receive a fact-finding questionnaire from DUA requesting information from you. You must respond to this questionnaire by the deadline specified. Failure to respond may result in a disqualification from receiving benefits.
DUA will send a Non-Monetary Determination
This notice tells you whether youve been approved for unemployment benefits. If your application is denied, you can appeal the decision within 10 days.
File An Initial Or Weekly / Continued Claim
Welcome to the Virginia Employment Commission Workforce Services Unemployment Insurance claim filing system. In order to file for Unemployment Insurance you must have been separated from your employer or have had your hours reduced.
You should not attempt to file a Virginia claim if:
- Your last employer was a federal civilian employer in a state other than Virginia . The only exception is if you worked as a federal civilian overseas.
- Your employment within the last 18 months was performed in a state or states other than Virginia.
You will need the following information to file your claim:
- Your Social Security Number
- The accurate employer names, addresses, telephone numbers and dates of employment within the last 18 months.
- The name and local number of your local union hall, if you obtain work through a union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a US citizen.
- If you have any Non-Virginia employers you must have an accurate mailing address, phone number, and dates of employment for them.
- You will be asked to select a method of payment: VA Debit Card or Direct Deposit. If you select Direct Deposit, you will need to have your Routing Number and your Account Number .
If you do not have this information available, please gather it before you begin to file your claim. This site is available seven days a week. The filing process takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. Please allow enough time to complete this process.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED!
Recommended Reading: Unemployment Insurance Washington
Completing An Application Online
After you finish your application, a confirmation page will display to show it was submitted successfully
Types Of Disability Policies
There are two types of disability policies.
Short-term policies may pay for up to two years. Most last for a few months to a year.
Long-term policies may pay benefits for a few years or until the disability ends.
Employers who offer coverage may provide short-term coverage, long-term coverage, or both.
If you plan to buy your own policy, shop around and ask:
How is disability defined?
How long do benefits last?
How much money will the policy pay?
Recommended Reading: Va Permanent And Total Disability Benefits
Protect Yourself From Scams
IWD does not ask for unemployment insurance overpayments to be paid by credit card or gift cards. Individuals who have received an unemployment insurance overpayment will be notified by mail delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.
In addition, IWD does not request sensitive account information through email communications. Individuals filing for unemployment insurance benefits will receive pertinent information regarding their account through the U.S. Postal Service.
How Do I Apply
To receive unemployment insurance benefits, you need to file a claim with the unemployment insurance program in the state where you worked. Depending on the state, claims may be filed in person, by telephone, or online.
- You should contact your state’s unemployment insurance program as soon as possible after becoming unemployed.
- Generally, you should file your claim with the state where you worked. If you worked in a state other than the one where you now live or if you worked in multiple states, the state unemployment insurance agency where you now live can provide information about how to file your claim with other states.
- When you file a claim, you will be asked for certain information, such as addresses and dates of your former employment. To make sure your claim is not delayed, be sure to give complete and correct information.
- It generally takes two to three weeks after you file your claim to receive your first benefit check.