How Do I Apply For Unemployment Benefits
You can file for unemployment benefits online, but due to a high volume of claims right now, you should stick to the following schedule:
- If your last name starts with AM, file on Sunday, Tuesday, or Thursday
- If your last name starts with NZ, file on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday
- If you’re not able to file during your scheduled window, file on Saturday
Be sure to have the following information handy when you submit your claim:
- Your Social Security number, or Alien Registration ID if you’re not a U.S. citizen
- Your driver’s license or state ID number
- The name, mailing address, phone number, employment dates, and reason for separation for all of the employers you worked for in the past 18 months
- Form DD-214/215 if you most recently worked for the military
- Form SF-8 and/or SF-50 if you were recently a government employee
- Your bank account details, if you wish to sign up for direct deposit for your benefits
Learn About The Illinois Unemployment Registration Process
After unemployment applicants file for an unemployment claim, they will be assigned a call day to certify for weeks of benefits. Applicants are required to complete their registration with the Illinois Employment Service system and will be informed that they must actively look for work and must maintain a record of their work search efforts. The work search log must be produced if requested by the agency.
A determination that the claimant was actively seeking work during a week claimed is subject to reconsideration. This determination may be reconsidered despite the fact that benefits were paid or the claimant returned to work. In order to preserve evidence that you were actively seeking work, you should not discard the written work-search record for any week you claimed unemployment benefits until 53 weeks have passed from the end of that week.
After the claim is filed, IDES will send the unemployment insurance beneficiary a statement called a UI finding. The finding shows: the first certification date, the wages paid by each employer in each calendar quarter of the base period for insured work, date of claim and benefit year begin and end dates, the weekly benefit amount and dependent allowance, and the maximum benefit balance. The WBA and maximum benefit balance will be described in more detail on the Benefits page.
File An Unemployment Claim
To apply for regular unemployment insurance, click the button below. You’ll be taken to the 10 Things You Should Know page to start the application process.
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance applications are being accepted until October 6th, 2021. However, PUA benefits are only payable retroactively through the week ending September 4th, 2021. Learn more and file a PUA claim online.
Once you have filed a claim for regular unemployment benefits, return to this page and click:
You May Like: Can You Have An Llc And Collect Unemployment
What Are The Requirements For Unemployment Benefits In Illinois
The state collects unemployment taxes from businesses liable to fund the program. DES then distributes Illinois unemployment benefits to applicants who qualify for government assistance. Companies required to pay into unemployment insurance coverage must also report the wages for each of their workers. When residents apply to the UI program, the state will verify the data on the application with the former employers. Aside from the earned income, business will confirm the reason for professional separation.
Applicants should bear in mind that benefits from the UI program are temporary. Similarly, financial compensation is only a portion of previous incomes, as the intention of UI in Illinois is to cover basic living and housing expense while beneficiaries are out of work. The designation of state-operated assistance is also not a substitute income while claimants are sick, vacationing or otherwise not available and actively pursuing new professional prospects. As a result, UI enrollees must continue to certify for benefits for the duration of the claim.
I Still Am Where I Was Before’: Lori Lightfoot On Meeting With Kim Foxx
Pritzker adds getting a head start is also beneficial dependingon the way claimants choose to receive benefits: either through direct deposit ora preloaded debit card.
For those who choose the debit card, which can take up toone or two weeks to arrive in the mail that card will be mailed out after youfinish filing for regular unemployment even if youre denied, Pritzker said. Ifyoure a worker who qualifies for PUA, your card could already be on the way toyou before you even open the PUA application portal on Monday.
According to Pritzker, claimants can receive up to 39 weeks of benefits backdated to the first week of unemployment under the new program.
As the IDES prepares to handle both the growing number ofstandard unemployment claims as well as additional PUA claims, Pritzker detailedthe effort the state has made in response to technical issues residents havereported while attempting to file for benefits.
For those reaching out over the phone, our new call centeris now up and running. And we continue to scale it up with 200 additional agentstaking calls by next week, Pritzker said.
In addition to the new call center, Pritzker said othermeasures, like improving the IDESs computer system and adding a chatbot to thewebsite has paid off.
As a result of these improvements, IDES is now paying out unemployment benefits to 99.9% of clean claims in a timely manner. And the majority of these claimants, approximately 75%, receive benefits within two weeks of filing.
You May Like: How Do I Check My Unemployment
Illinois Unemployment Officials Still Cant Say How Much Fraud Has Been Paid
State Rep. Dan Caulkins, R-Decatur, Illinois Department of Employment Security Director Kristin Richards, John Coss with Thomson Reuters, and Adam Ford with the Illinois Department of Innovation and Technology during a House hearing Thursday.
Nearly 20 months into the pandemic, it is still not known how much fraud has been paid out of Illinois unemployment system from throughout the pandemic.
After Gov. J.B. Pritzker issued a stay-at-home order in March 2020, unemployment filings skyrocketed as people were laid off from the decrease in economic activity. That unemployment hangover lasted for months with backlogs of unemployment claims stacking up over time.
The result: Illinois unemployment trust fund debt is around $5 billion. Taxpayers are already paying interest on that debt with around $10 million due for this year and up to $60 million due after the next year, if the debt isnt paid off.
In the spring, the Illinois Department of Employment Security said theyve stopped 1.7 million fraudulent claims. But, at an Illinois House hearing Thursday, IDES Director Kristin Richards still couldnt quantify how much has been paid out.
Some states have put out their rough estimates, Richards said. Weve not yet been in a position to do so. But those rough estimates have largely been focused on the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program.
One thing that is clear, Jon Coss with Thomson Reuters said, is a trend seen across the country.
What Information Is Needed To File For Unemployment In Illinois
To file an unemployment EDD application at the IDES office, applicants need to submit the following identification and documents:
To fill out the online application for employment, the claimant needs his or her Social Security number, name, and date of birth. The applicants personal information is compared to data from the Social Security Administration. If the information does not exactly match, the online services will not work.
Also Check: Can Llc Owner Collect Unemployment
Find Out How To Claim Unemployment Benefits In Illinois
The qualifications for unemployment benefits are dependent on monetary and personal factors of applicants. To make an unemployment claim, claimants must have lost employment through no fault of their own. Those filing for unemployment after quitting their job without just reason or were fired for misconduct will not meet the eligibility requirements. However, wrongfully terminated workers and those who resigned due to an unreasonable situation may still qualify. Applicants who list an unacceptable reason of separation will interview with an IDES representative, allowing claimants to furnish additional information.
The monetary eligibility conditions requires applicants to have earned a sufficient income. IDES cannot process claimants who made less than the minimum earnings to establish a claim. Authorities will review petitioners applications and work history for the past year and a half. In some cases, IDES will use an alternate base period for workers who lack adequate wages to qualify.
Information Required When Filing For Unemployment Insurance Benefits
The following information is needed when filing for UI benefits:
- social security number
- name, payroll address and telephone number of your last employer
- start and end dates of your last job
- whether or not you will receive vacation pay, severance, etc.
- alien registration number
- DD-214 if you served in the U.S. military during the last 18 months
- Verifying your identity by answering security questions
- Standard Form 8 if you worked for the federal government in the last 18 months
- name, date of birth, and social security number of any dependents that are claimed as exemptions on your federal income tax return
- Spouses may be claimed as a dependent if their gross wages were $120.00 or less in the week prior to filing your claim.
- Self-employment does not count as gross wages for dependent purposes.
Also Check: How Do I Sign Up For Unemployment In Indiana
How Do I File An Unemployment Claim In Illinois
To avoid any delays in receiving benefits, file a claim for unemployment benefits during the first week you become unemployed. You can file for benefits online through the IDES website or by visiting one of the Illinois unemployment office locations throughout the state.
Illinois unemployment insurance benefits are paid only to recipients who are actively seeking work. As part of this requirement, recipients must register with the Illinois Employment Service systems. To meet both of these Illinois unemployment qualifications, recipients can log into IllinoisJobLink.com and complete the registration process, create a resume and begin searching for work.
You will need several pieces of documentation and information to file for benefits:
Be aware that many people lose unemployment benefits for a week or more because they do not follow instructions closely, thus delaying the processing and payment of benefits they are entitled to. If you do not understand filing instructions, call IDES Claimant Services at 244-5631 or visit an IDES office to seek assistance you can determine your closest Illinois unemployment office here.
Several online serviceslike FlexJobs, 360training, or MyPerfectResumecan help you find work-from-home jobs, build a better resume, or earn training certifications.
How Do I Apply
To receive unemployment insurance benefits, you need to file a claim with the unemployment insurance program in the state where you worked. Depending on the state, claims may be filed in person, by telephone, or online.
- You should contact your state’s unemployment insurance program as soon as possible after becoming unemployed.
- Generally, you should file your claim with the state where you worked. If you worked in a state other than the one where you now live or if you worked in multiple states, the state unemployment insurance agency where you now live can provide information about how to file your claim with other states.
- When you file a claim, you will be asked for certain information, such as addresses and dates of your former employment. To make sure your claim is not delayed, be sure to give complete and correct information.
- It generally takes two to three weeks after you file your claim to receive your first benefit check.
Recommended Reading: Unemployment Change Address
How To File For Unemployment Benefits Online In Massachusetts
Where to claim: You can file your claim online here.
The fine print: Massachusetts workers are eligible for unemployment if they have earned at least $5,100 during the last four completed calendar quarters and 30 times the amount youre qualified to collect. Your unemployment must be through no fault of your own. Massachusetts has waived its normal work search requirements.
What youll need: Be sure to have the following on hand before you start your application:
- Social security number, birth date, home address, phone number, and email address
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers for all employers in the last 15 months
- Dates you started and stopped those jobs
- Your reasons for leaving each of them
- If you were laid off but have a date you can return, provide that
- If not a U.S. citizen, your alien registration number
- If a military member, your Military DD-214 Member 4 form
How To File For Unemployment Benefits Online In Nevada
Where to claim: You can file their claim online here. Youll need to create an account first, which you can do by following this link.
The fine print: You must be unemployed through no fault of your own.In response to the pandemic,Nevada has waived the normal requirement to search for work.
What youll need:
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of work of your last two employers
- If not a U.S. citizen, your Alien Registration Number
- If you served in the military in the last 18 months, your Military DD-214 Member 4 form
Recommended Reading: Ways To Make Money When Unemployed
How To Appeal Denied Unemployment In Illinois
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications for unemployment will receive a denial notification from IDES listing the reasons for the rejection from the UI program. If the claimant disagrees with the Illinois unemployment decision, he or she can file a reconsideration form with IDES before the deadline. It is important for residents denied unemployment registration to state why they are requesting an appeal of the determination. For instance, if the notification illustrates a clerical error in reported wages or dispute with the reason of separation with the business. Workers wrongfully terminated who seek UI benefits often meet with animosity from former employees. The reasons for denied benefits in Illinois are varied and may involve an initial disqualification or may occur during the course of filing for weekly benefits. If IDES denies the reconsideration, the case will automatically go to the Appeals Division and the applicant will receive the date and time for the hearing. Prior to the hearing, claimants should gather the material that will best prove their case, which can include witnesses and statements. The state offers free legal services through private law firms for those who seek appeal hearings.
Learn How To Sign Up For Unemployment Insurance In Illinois
Find Illinois Unemployment Application Information
To apply for unemployment benefits in Illinois, the claimant can either file an application at the IDES office or online. Unemployment applicants wondering How can I sign up for unemployment? or wondering where to sign up for unemployment in their area can read through the sections below. Other information found in this section includes details about the application process, and what documents are required to file for unemployment in Illinois.
For more details on the different features of unemployment registration, review the following sections:
Find Out How to Appeal Denied Benefits
What is wrongful termination?
Recommended Reading: Does Filing For Unemployment Hurt Your Credit
Are You Available And Actively Searching For Work
To maintain your eligibility for unemployment, you must be able to work, available to accept a job, and looking for work. If you are offered a suitable position, you must accept it.
You must register for work with the Illinois Employment Service, either online or in person. You must keep a record of your job search efforts, including the dates and places you apply for work. When you apply for benefits, you will receive a form on which to record this information, which you may have to provide to the agency.
How To File For Unemployment Benefits Online In Iowa
Where to file a claim: to get to the new claims page on the Iowa Workforce Development website. Youll first need to youll need a valid email address to do so. The online handbook has more information here. Theres also a video tutorial here.
The fine print: Here are the guidelines for who may file for unemployment. Iowa also has COVID-19-specific information here.
What youll need: Be sure to have the following on hand before you start your application:
- Social security number
- The social security numbers, dates of birth, and names of your spouse and children, if youre claiming them as dependents .
- Your address and phone number
- Work history for the past 18 months. Be sure to include your employers company name, address, and phone numbers, along with dates of employment and reasons you left employment
- Non-citizens will need to provide their employment authorization number and expiration date
- If you served in the military during the past 18 months, youll need your Member 4 Copy of the DD form 214. You can request a copy of your DD-214 online here.
- Records of pension payments you are receiving , if applicable
- If you worked for the federal government as a civilian employee in the last 18 months, youll need your Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50
- Your bank account number and your banks routing number. Otherwise, the state will pay you via anIowa Workforce Developmentdebit card from Bank of America
Also Check: Can You Collect Unemployment If You Quit Your Job Because Of Stress
How To File For Unemployment Benefits Online In Alaska
Where to file a claim: to get to the new claims page on the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Youll first need to with a valid email address.
The fine print: If youve worked in another state in the past 18 months, you may be able to combine claims.
What youll need: Be sure to have the following on hand before you start your application:
- Social Security number
- Non-citizens will need to provide their Alien Registration Number and your work permit or other documentation
- Name, mailing address and phone number of your last employer and the location where you reported to work
- Dates of your last employment, first and last day worked
- Earnings you made in the last week of your employment
- Other deductible income received in the last week of employment, such as vacation, severance or bonus pay
- Federal employees are required to mail or fax copies of standard form SF8 and SF50, and when possible a Leave and Earnings Statement
- A copy of your discharge papers if youve been released from the military in the past 18 months